For the last few years I have been lucky enough to work at a ReStore. What this means for me is that I have access to a lot of really great materials and get to spend all day looking at things, thinking what they could become. I want to share my top ten tips of things I have learned about doing a ReStore redesign project:
- MAKE A PLAN!!
- The project always changes from the first image you had in your mind and it’s OK.
- Always over estimate, it’s almost impossible to find something to match that one-of-a-kind item.
- Sanders are not planers, no matter how hard you try.
- Spray paint is amazing.
- Just because it sounds crazy doesn’t mean it can’t be done.
- Think outside the box for items to use.
- Find a friend that welds. Better yet learn yourself.
- A door has a million uses. Table, chair, wall covering, headboard, mirror…
- Your imagination is a terrible thing to waste.
With these tips and a little bit of imagination you can make some really great pieces. If you give it a go, let us know how it worked out. And make sure to send us some pictures so we can share. Happy building!